Croydon nude dating site framework
The church had been established in the middle Saxon period, and was probably a minster church, a base for a group of clergy living a communal life.
A charter issued by King Coenwulf of Mercia refers to a council that had taken place close to the monasterium (meaning minster) of Croydon.
By the early 20th century, Croydon was an important industrial area, known for car manufacture, metal working and Croydon Airport.
The church and the archbishops' manor house occupied the area still known as "Old Town".The archbishops used the manor house as an occasional place of residence: as lords of the manor they dominated the life of the town well into the early modern period, and as local patrons they continue to have an influence.Croydon appears in Domesday Book (1086) as Croindene, held by Archbishop Lanfranc.According to John Corbet Anderson: "The earliest mention of Croydon is in the joint will of Beorhtric and Aelfswth, dated about the year 962.In this Anglo-Saxon document the name is spelt [here he uses Old English characters] Crogdaene.